Jobs and Internships at Midwest Pesticide Action Center
The mission of Midwest Pesticide Action Center (MPAC) is to reduce the health risks and environmental impacts of pesticides by promoting safer alternatives. MPAC focuses its work on children and low-income communities, as they are critically vulnerable and disproportionately exposed to these toxic chemicals. MPAC engages and empowers the communities we serve through a variety of strategies that include: outreach, training, advocacy, coalition building, technical assistance, legislative campaigns, and model programs and policies. Our program areas are: public and low income housing, yards and parks, schools and childcare facilities. Founded in 1994 by a coalition of four environmental groups – the Sierra Club, Illinois Environmental Council, Illinois Stewardship Alliance, and Business and Professional People for the Public Interest – MPAC has been recognized with a Governor’s Pollution Prevention Award, a USEPA Children’s Environmental Health Award, and a USEPA Environmental Justice Award. The Development Director will work closely with the Executive Director, the Board of Directors and staff to expand and enhance the organization’s fundraising program. MPAC’s 2015 annual budget is roughly $300,000.
1. Develop and execute MPAC’s annual fundraising strategy.
2. Secure financial support from individuals, government, foundations and corporations.
3. Develop and maintain ongoing relationships with major donors, corporations and foundations, many in partnership with the Executive Director.
4. Design and implement cultivation strategy for a large sustained base of annual individual donors.
5. Manage annual fundraiser and other special events in partnership with board, staff and volunteers.
6. Support the Board of Directors in seeking potential new board members and implementing strategic plan.
7. Participate in creating high-quality communications including newsletters, annual appeals and other web-based and social media communications.
8. Attend and help coordinate quarterly board and committee meetings in collaboration with the Executive Director.
9. Maintain calendar for all grant requirements. Manage the eTapestry donor database system, including data entry and gift processing.
10. Provide detailed financial and revenue projection reports to the Executive Director and Board Members on a regular basis.
Successful applicants will have the following:
1. At least five years of experience in grant writing and individual giving with demonstrated track record of success.
2. Demonstrated success in obtaining new sources of funding.
3. Experience in designing and implementing Moves Management framework and strategies, conducting an annual campaign, and soliciting major donors.
4. Ability to collaborate closely with program staff and articulate complex and evolving programs and program outcomes to donor base and institutional funders.
5. Event planning experience.
6. Experience in working with donor database or contact management system. eTapestry or Raiser’s Edge experience preferred.
7. Knowledge of the use of social media tools for fundraising and donor cultivation.
8. Demonstrated interest in MPAC’s mission and a general interest in the environmental health field.
9. Computer skills, including proficiency in Microsoft Word and Excel.
10. Sense of humor.
Position is 75% time and salary commensurate with experience. Full benefit package is available.
How to Apply
Please e-mail a cover letter, writing sample, and resume to Ruth Kerzee, Executive Director, Midwest Pesticide Action Center at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please do not phone with questions regarding the hiring process. For general information regarding Midwest Pesticide Action Center, please visit www.midwestpesticideaction.org. Midwest Pesticide Action Center is an equal opportunity employer.
Midwest Pesticide Action Center welcomes interns from all fields of study and backgrounds with an interest in our work. Applicants are considered throughout the year for internships typically starting in January, June, and September.
Please send a cover letter and resume to Midwest Pesticide Action Center at:
Midwest Pesticide Action Center
4611 N. Ravenswood Ave. Ste. 107
Chicago, IL 60640.
For more information on our internship program, click here.